How to work in Canada

Working in Canada: how to Do It and What Documents Are Required

You'd love to work in Canada, but first you need to know about the visas and documents required. Here's the essential guide!

If you’ve decided that it’s time for a break, and you want to go and work in Canada, here’s some useful advice on how to do it. Canada offers many opportunities, allowing entrance to the country on the basis of age and length of stay. Here’s what you’ll need to do and the documents you’ll require to work in Canada.

How to work in Canada

If you have 18 -35, you can go and work in Canada with International Experience Canada. This permit allows you to travel and work in Canada for up to six months. Although this is only short-term, it could be the basis for something more stable. After the six months are up, you can apply for a permanent visa.

If this solution doesn’t suit you, you’ll need to apply for a standard working visa. You can get such a visa if you already have a work contract or a written promise of work. Alternatively, you can get a visa even if you don’t have a job, but you will have to meet certain requirements and be qualified in your field. You would therefore need some working experience, a good educational record and an excellent knowledge of French.

Applying for a work visa will cost you around 300 Pounds. This covers the costs of processing the application and issuing the visa documents. You will first be issued with a temporary visa, and will then be able to request a permanent one.

If you have a work contract, your permit will only be valid for that specific job and for a limited period of time, and will require confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). This will confirm the employer’s right to hire a foreign worker.

There is a special portal set up by the Canadian government which will provide you with all the information you need.