What the pros and cons of working in an Airport?
Career Paths, Careers advice

Pros and cons of working in an Airport

Working in an airport can be challenging but rewarding, especially if you love travelling and interacting with different people from all around the world.

Airports are a very profitable business with an important economic impact on the community, because they generate jobs and boost local tourism.

Within a commercial airport, the general distribution of professional figures contemplates that around 90% of those actively working in an airport will have a contract with private companies. Administrators, maintenance workers and safety crews, on the other hand, are the remaining 10% that work directly for the airport.

Before finding out the pros and cons of working in an airport, let’s look at the positions that the air transport business usually has to offer. Here are some of the most popular roles, that can guide you in your job search in this field: flight attendant, operations agent, administrative support, sales manager, flight dispatcher, ground attendant, passenger service agent, reservation sales agent, airline ticket agent and aviation meteorologist.

The pros and cons depend, of course, on the position you choose, and some are more challenging than others.

Let’s discover the pros of working in an airport:

International Environment – Whether you find yourself working for an international or national airport, people from all over the world will be part of the flow. If you are someone who loves a multicultural, dynamic situation, this is the right job for you.

Teamwork – Being collaborative, empathetic and patient are three of the most important skills when working in an airport, because you are always going to be part of a team. Complexity and unpredictable situations are part of the job, and the right support from your colleagues will save you in difficult situations

Active and exciting workplace – An airport is certainly a very hectic place to work, because there is a lot of movement going on, and every day you are likely to see new stories, cases and events. Even if you have an airline back office role, interesting things will always be around the corner.

How about the cons?

Here are some things you should consider:

Unpredictable workplace – Take into account that in an airport you can have sudden changes in terms of schedule. Delays, cancelled flights and passenger issues are part of the game. Even if you perform the same task every single day, the unpredictable element will always be an important factor.

Long hours – Irregular days off and long hours can be part of the job. If you are looking for a more stable job and defined working hours, maybe this is not the right job for you.

Benefits and Pay – Depending on the role you choose, benefits and pay can vary drastically. Be sure to find out all your long-term benefits so that you can be truly satisfied with the economic situation.

Working in an airport can be challenging but rewarding, especially if you love travelling and interacting with different people from all around the world. Evaluate the best position for you, depending on your age, status and ambitions.

If you are interested in finding your next job in the air transport business trust Jobrapido!