Working Without Experience: 5 Ways to Impress In Your First JobFive tips for making a good impression at work even without experience: here's all you need to know.
Rule number one for your first day at work: don’t panic! Even if you lack experience, that doesn’t mean that you don’t have the skills needed to do your job well. It’s a good idea to bear this in mind!
So don’t get too anxious! Here’s a guide to help you not mess up your first day, not make your boss change his mind, and above all ensure you make a good impression.
5 Ways to Impress Your Boss the First Day
- Be humble: this is always a good strategy, but especially on your first day. If you’re humble and honestly admit that you’re new to the game, nobody will take issue with you. You’ve been taken on in the knowledge that you’re new to the job. So it’s accepted that you don’t know how things are done and are there to learn.
- Ask questions: you’re only human. When you’re faced with something you can’t do, ask yourself first if you can work it out unaided. If the answer is no, think up an intelligent question to ask your boss.
- Ask how you can do better: showing you’re full of goodwill and a desire to learn always goes down well. Don’t pester your boss with 500 questions a minute. Ask for feedback after the first week at work. Are you doing well? How could you improve?
- Ask colleagues for advice: you’ll be surrounded by people who’ve been working for the company much longer than you. Asking them for tips will make you feel more secure. Your new colleagues will appreciate this and will help you with your professional development.
- Smile: it may seem obvious, but smiling and behaving positively is the best thing you can do.