Part-time jobs: 5 tips to help you find the right one
If you are studying, or if you need time to manage your home life, or if you just want a job that doesn’t take up your whole day, a part-time job is the perfect solution for you.
What type of part-time job would suit you best? Here are some useful tips to help you make the right choice.
How to choose the most suitable part-time job for you
- Think about your preferences: if you like children, you could work as a baby-sitter, or give pupils extra tutoring. Or if you love animals, you could work as a dog-sitter. Alternatively, you could ask your local pet shop if they need an assistant.
- Look for a job with hours that suit you: if you want a part-time job but need to get up early to study or attend university classes, maybe working in a bar that closes at 4 a.m. is not the right answer for you. You need to look for a part-time job with hours that suit your lifestyle.
- Think about working with colleagues: if you are the solitary type who doesn’t really enjoy talking to colleagues or other people, you should look for a part-time job that doesn’t involve close contact with the public. You could choose to work in a library, in an archive, or even behind the scenes in a bar or restaurant. There are plenty of jobs available for food-lovers!
- Base your choice on your skills: look for part-time work which involves something you already know about, and can do well. There are some types of work that might interest you, but if you don’t have the relevant expertise you’d have to do further studying before you could apply.
- Have a look at the pay offer: that’s a crucial factor. Before accepting any job, check that the salary meets your expectations and that your duties are set out in a contract.